Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Shift+Z = Happy Me!

Here's a little Google Drive tip that I have found especially helpful lately...

Unlike the traditional file folders on your desktop or laptop, Google Drive allows you to save a document in multiple folders on your Drive. Save really isn't the right word here. There is only one copy of the document, but Drive allows you to access it through more than one folder. It's sort of like how you and I can both access the same document through our own respective Drives. Two different paths. One destination.

For example...I have some English curriculum documents that were also part of the September 3rd inservice. I wanted to be able to have those documents at my fingertips while working on the inservice, but I also wanted the documents to remain with my English curriculum files.

The magic combination of Shift + Z allowed me to do both.

Here's how to tap into the magic.

I first created my document, saving it in my English curriculum folder. Then, instead of right-clicking on the document name to pull up options, I left-clicked one time to highlight it.



When I held down the Shift key and typed Z, an "Add To" box appeared, allowing me to designate a second home for the document.


Those few steps provided me with easy access to my documents from both folders. Why Google didn't just add that as an option to the right-click menu is beyond me, but as Bill Nye always said, "Now you know!"

No comments:

Post a Comment